ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology
Contributing to Technological Development and Overcoming Global Environmental Problems
Preserving the global environment requires investigating and researching various environmental issues, including climate change, depletion of the ozone layer, acid rain, biodiversity loss, deforestation, desertification, and pollution in the oceans.
The ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology (Public Trust) was established in 1998 for providing partial or full funding for research and technological development toward the preservation of the global environment. Through the actions of the Foundation, ESPEC hopes to help overcome the many issues threatening the global environment.
This page outlines the Foundation’s open call for grant applications. We look forward to choosing from a wide range of applications.
This public trust was established to help overcome various global environmental issues by granting partial or full funding for a wide range of activities geared toward furthering scientific and technological knowledge on the preservation of the global environment.
What is a public trust?
A public trust is an organization that uses property placed in trust banks or other institutions by a person or company with the intent that the property be managed or operated for the benefit of the public according to defined public interest purposes. Unlike private interest trusts, public trusts require licensing from relevant government authorities. The ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology is licensed by the Ministry of the Environment.
- ESPEC CORP.
- Mizuho Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
Resona Bank, Limited.
2. Application eligibility
All of the requirements must be met for each of the following fields.
|Applicants must be members of or groups of universities, graduate schools, technical colleges, and their affiliated research institutes.|
|Research topics must be related to research and technological development toward solving global environmental issues.|
|Research must be on a single topic and neither previously funded by nor scheduled to be funded by other funds or organizations.|
3. Funding amount and duration
(1) The total available funding for 2023 is up to 9 million yen to be granted to between 10 and 20 different applications.
* In 2022, the Foundation approved 18 applications in total (with a funding total of 9 million yen), with each approved application receiving between 400,000 to 600,000 yen.
- (2) The grant period is generally one year from the grant payment date.
4. Use of grant funds
Grant funds can be used to cover equipment, consumables, travel expenses, and rewards considered expenses related to research and technological development toward solving global environmental issues.
5. Reporting obligations
Grant recipients are required to submit a Grant Research Report (Form 2) and a Grant Fund Usage Report (Form 3) within two months of the end of the grant period based on the application.
- Grant Research Report (Form 2) and Grant Fund Usage Report (Form 3)(26KB)
- Grant Research Report (Form 2) and Grant Fund Usage Report (Form 3)(424KB)
- Grant Research Report (Form 2) and Grant Fund Usage Report (Form 3)_Entry example (Form 3)(491KB)
6. Selection process
Applications will be carefully reviewed and approved by a steering committee of experts in academia.
7. Steering committee members
Professor Emeritus, Kyoto University; Senior Researcher, Research Organization of Science and Technology, Ritsumeikan University
Professor Emeritus, University of Tokyo; Dean/Professor, Faculty of Agriculture, Takasaki University of Health and Welfare
Professor, School of Policy Studies, Kwansei Gakuin University
Professor Emeritus, Osaka University; Director, Kansai Research Centre, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
Professor Emeritus, Kyoto University; Senior Fellow, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
Chairman, Environmental Dynamics Architect (EDA); Former Professor, Tottori University of Environmental Studies
8. Application method
Download the designated application form (Form 1) for the applicable field by clicking an icon below. Complete the form by entering the required information, and submit the form to Mizuho Trust & Banking Co., Ltd. (see Section 12 below).
- Grant Application Form (Form 1)(38KB)
- Grant Application Form (Form 1)(224KB)
- Grant Application Form (Form 1)_Entry example (Form 3)(381KB)
9. Application period
April 1, 2023, to May 31, 2023 (date by which applications must be received)
10. Grant reception date
August 2023 (expected)
11. Award ceremony
An award ceremony for grant recipients is scheduled for 25 August 2023. Please adjust the schedule.(Location: Kobe R & D Center, Espec Corporation)More details will be provided by Espec Corporation after the grant decision is made.
12. Where to obtain/submit application forms, and contact information
4-1-1 Koraibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka 541-0043 Japan
Sales Team 1, Osaka Trust General Sales Dept., Mizuho Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
Attn: Yuri Moriyama, Representative for ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology (Public Trust)
Tel.: +81-6-6201-3145 (Ask for Mr.Moriyama), Fax: +81-6-6201-3040
13. Other information
- (1) Submitted application forms will not be returned.
- (2) All applicants will be notified in writing of their application results.
- (3) Results of research funded by the Foundation may be published if deemed necessary by the steering committee and with the approval of the grant recipient. For research published by grant recipients at a conference, in an academic journal, book, or in any other way, the grant recipient should include the following acknowledgment to indicate the research was supported by this grant.
- Field of study
- Acknowledgment in Japanese: “公益信託エスペック地球環境研究・技術基金（エスペック環境研究奨励賞）”
- Acknowledgment in English: “ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology (Public Trust) (ESPEC Prize for the Encouragement of Environmental Studies)”
- (4) Grant recipients who wish to discontinue their research should contact Mizuho Trust & Banking Co., Ltd. as soon as possible and provide documentation explaining the reason for their desire to discontinue their research. In such cases, funds already granted to the recipient will generally be returned to the Foundation.
- Message from the President
- Approach to Sustainability
- ESPEC Materiality (important issues)
- Stakeholder Engagement
- ESPEC Programs and SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals)
- Promoting Environmental Management
- Providing Products and Services that Contribute to a Sustainable Society
- Combatting Climate Change
- Response to the TCFD Recommendations (Information Disclosure Based on TCFD)
- Resource Recycling
- Control of Chemical Substances
- Preserving Biodiversity and Training Environmental Human Resources
- Environment Data
- External Recognition for Environmental Initiatives
- Fair and Transparent Management
- ESG Data
- External Recognition
- ESPEC Foundation for Global Environment Research and Technology
- Sustainability SiteMap